In the simplest of terms, metabolism is the process by which the human body burns calories. It is an extremely critical process that assists in keeping you in shape and energized for all your daily activities. There are several key elements involved in the process of burning calories and staying slick. Metabolism is also genetic in a number of people. Some people tend to have a higher rate of metabolism compared to the others. For example, people who are overweight tend to exhibit a much lower metabolic rate compared to those who are at the right weight for their age and body mass. It is also believed that men tend to demonstrate a higher metabolic rate when compared to women.
So, why is it important to maintain good metabolism?
Let’s understand the concept by means of a simple example. A lot of the human body functions tend to display high levels of performance when appropriate and adequate treatment is provided. It is similar to a motor. You would need to maintain it well by means of utilizing the right quality of fuel, frequent oil and coolant changes, periodic overhauling as well as some minor pampering at times.
It is the exact same way that a human body functions. With oil and coolant changes, provide the right and proper amount of food. By right quality of fuel, obviously, provide the human body with the best possible food. Periodic overhauling is the process of sporadic health checkups. Just like your motor would smile as a result of all the attention and give you a smooth ride, your body would respond well to your commands and take your life on a long and healthy journey. The concept in terms of a motor or a human body is more or less the same.
How do I do it?
- It cannot be stressed enough – Eat your breakfast! Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day. People have all the possible excuses to skip breakfast. I have a meeting in 30 minutes, I can’t find my shoes, I have lost my appetite because the stock market crashed, I missed completing my report last night….Eat your breakfast. Period! Your body needs the energy to function for the whole day and it requires nutrients at the start of the day. A good breakfast boosts your metabolism and provides you with the necessary strength for your daily activities. To do well at the meeting, find your shoes, recover from the stock market crash and complete the report, your body needs energy. To allow the body to assist you through all of this, you would first need to assist it. Cereals, fruits, toast (keep your hands off the butter!), couple of eggs…have something. It is the best gift you can give your body every day when it prepared itself for the day ahead.
- Avoid junk food, especially food that is rich in oil and sugar content. Both of them are very dangerous on a long-term; extensive consumption of these lead to harmful diseases like diabetics. The human body is not fabricated to consume large amounts of oil and sugar, which is a typical habit for most people. When you are hungry and feel like eating at odd hours, don’t reach out to a bag of chips or a candy bar. Indulge yourself in a bowl of salad or well-cut fruits (cutting fruits in different shapes and sizes is a great way to encourage yourself to eat it).
- Plan your diet. It is alright if people laugh at you for having a food timetable or a food chart. After all, it is your body that is important to you, not theirs. Try and stick to the diet as much as you can. A balanced diet is an incredible way to increase the rate of metabolism.
- Sketch your intakes. Disorderly eating is as dangerous as over-eating. Eat only when necessary and that, in small amounts. It is critical that you allow necessary time gaps in between meals to allow the body to do its thing and get back to normal. It is after this that you should delegate its next duty. Green tea is an excellent ingredient to boost your metabolism. Consuming green tea twice a day is highly recommended by expert dieticians and doctors. Drinking lemon water is another fantastic choice to burn calories.
- Finally, exercise. The moment anyone hears this word, the mind goes completely chaotic. No one wants you to hit the gym and start pumping weights. A brisk 30-minute stroll is more than sufficient. You would be amazed at how fresh you feel after this. Aerobic exercises, a little bit of stretching, short walks around your computer at work during regular intervals, etc. are simple and effective ways of maintaining your body’s metabolic activities. One very important aspect to remember during exercise regimes is to drink a lot of water. Water is the key element in maintaining your metabolism. Irregular intake of water would completely slow down your metabolism and would lead to dehydration.
Now, does that sound good? Always remember that it is you who can take care of your body. Burning calories is a very important activity of the human body. To allow the body to do its job, we will have to assure that we provide the path for it. We could do that by following these very simple steps. After all, it is for a long, prosperous and healthy living.